1) Main Responsibilities
Assist the Executive Chef in setting and maintaining high quality food standards. Responsible for daily kitchen operations, as well as Executive Chef duties in the absence of the Executive Chef.
1. Daily Kitchen Operations
Responsible for the daily operations of the kitchen.
Familiarise yourself with the day’s menu, the number of guests in-house for that day, issue stock out of the various storerooms accordingly and keep accurate records thereof.
Plan, direct and supervise the preparation, cooking, garnishing and presentation of food to ensure high quality standards are consistently maintained.
Ensure that chefs follow recipes, exercise set portion controls and presentation standards as set by the company.
Train and direct staff in ways to keep wastage to an absolute minimum.
Ensure staff adheres to company hygiene as well as health and safety policies before, during and after food preparation.
Ensure that raw, prep and cooked foods are properly stored in accordance with health and safety regulations.
2. Hygiene and Cleanliness
Ensure that all areas of the kitchen are at all times hygienically clean and in a neat and tidy state; and that all chefs follow company hygiene protocols as well as health and safety regulations.
Ensure that chefs clean and maintain their sections in practicing good sanitation and organisation measures
Have knowledge of all religious food laws, habits and customs and be able to provide food for all guests irrespective of dietary, religious, cultural or otherwise preferences.
Satisfy celebratory requirements.
Introduce yourself to guests and be accessible to them. Converse with guests and provide service and information.
4. Storerooms and Storage Areas
Ensure that all storerooms are safe and secured at all times and that access is restricted only to authorised personnel.
Ensure that storerooms and storage areas are always kept in a neat, tidy and hygienically clean state and free from clutter.
. In the absence of the Executive Chef
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that staff adheres to health and safety regulations. Ensure that high levels of such are consistently maintained and that the staff understands why.
- Ensure the necessary hygiene agents for the various cleaning schedules are in sufficient stock and used correctly and in accordance with health and safety regulations; and also with regard to the eco-systems around the lodge.
- Ensure kitchen equipment is used correctly, is in good working order and arrange for repairs if necessary.
- Ensure staff is always in the proper required uniforms.
- Compile all documentation required for stock purchases, get the documents approved by the General Manager or stand-in General Manager and keep accurate records thereof.
- Familiarising yourself with supplier delivery schedules and ensure that orders are put in timeously.
- Ensure all equipment, utensils and apparatus in use in and around the kitchen are in a safe and orderly state; report any faults and issues to the maintenance department.
Be prepared to occasionally undergo training which will be provided for by the company, attending workshops, conducting research and keeping abreast of industry trends, new products, equipment, suppliers and food trends.
Liaising with camp managers ensuring consistency amongst all the camps.
Do random spot check in camps to ensure that standard S.O.P.s are followed and that the camp kitchens are kept in a hygienically clean, neat and tidy state.
Be present for random breakfast, lunch and dinner services to control the quality of the food and service.
· Reference: LS-74972-0302
· Salary: dep on exp LIVE IN
· Country: South Africa
· Province: Limpopo
· Date Posted: 03 Jan 2017
· Employer type: Game Farm & Lodge